The following is a press release issued by the Mendocino National Forest:
Christmas tree permit sales for the Mendocino National Forest began Thursday, Nov. 5, 2020. The permits can be purchased for $10 each, limited to one per household. The number of permits is limited and will be on a first-come, first-served basis. Permits are good for this year only.
This year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there are no in-person sales at Mendocino National Forest offices. Permits will be available only through the mail or by one of the vendors listed below. To purchase a permit by mail, please see the Mail Order Form and print name, mailing address and phone number for each permit purchased. Include a check or money order made out to “USDA Forest Service” for $10 for each permit and send it to either the Willows, Stonyford, Upper Lake or Covelo offices with “Christmas Tree Permit” written on the outside of the envelope. Mail-in requests received after December 14 will not be filled. Due to the August Complex fire closure, Christmas tree cutting will be allowed only in specific areas in the Mendocino National Forest outside the closure area. See the map here. The permittee will receive a map of the forest and a tree tag. Persons must be at least 18 years old to purchase the permit. All Christmas tree permit sales are final; no refunds will be made. For more information check the forest website: https://www.fs.usda.gov/…/passes…/forestproducts/…
It is important to note that not all national forests offer the opportunity to obtain Christmas trees for personal use, and each national forest has different sale dates. Please check with the national forest in which you are interested to learn about the specifics of their program.
To ensure that your visit to the Mendocino National Forest is an enjoyable experience, please follow these important tips:
- Plan your trip, check the weather, bring plenty of warm clothes, water, food, tire chains, shovel, a saw or axe to cut your tree and a tarp and rope to bring it home.
- Keep vehicles on designated roads and be aware of changing weather and road conditions.
- Cut your tree early in the season before favorite cutting areas can’t be reached because of snow.
- Make sure you are cutting a tree on the Mendocino National Forest and not from other federal, state or private lands.
- Cut the tree as close as possible to the ground and leave as little of a stump as possible.
- Attach the permit on the tree where it will be easily visible with the tree packed or tied on your vehicle for transport home. Christmas tree permits are typically available from the following vendors.
PLEASE CALL FOR PRICES, HOURS OF OPERATION AND AVAILABILITY.
- Upper Lake Grocery160 E. Hwy 20, Upper Lake707-275-2380
- M&M Feed and Supply74540 Hill Road, Covelo707-983-6273
- Keith’s Family Foods76201 Covelo Road, Covelo 707-983-6633