MendoHistory

This Day in MendoHistory: July 12, 1924- Liberty Theater Changes Hands Showing Moving Pictures Six Days Per Week

In collaboration with Mendocinoโ€™s Kelley House Museum, MendoFever will be publishing their โ€œThis Day in Mendocino Historyโ€ Facebook posts. The Kelley House Museum works hard to document and curate Mendocino Countyโ€™s rich history and can be visited in the seaside town of Mendocino.

๐˜š๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฑ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ˆ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜ป๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ? ๐˜‹๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ฆ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜’๐˜ฆ๐˜ญ๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ๐˜บ ๐˜๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ ๐˜ข๐˜ต ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฐ ๐˜ค๐˜ฐ๐˜ด๐˜ต ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ! ๐˜Š๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฐ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜’๐˜ฆ๐˜ญ๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ๐˜บ ๐˜๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ ๐˜”๐˜ถ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ถ๐˜ฎ ๐˜ข๐˜ต ย https://smile.amazon.comย ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ˆ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜ป๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ญ๐˜ญ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ฆ ๐˜ข ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ค๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ต๐˜ข๐˜จ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ณ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ถ๐˜ณ๐˜ค๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜’๐˜ฆ๐˜ญ๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ๐˜บ ๐˜๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ!

Photo: Liberty Theatre on the left, 1923. On the right, this photo shows the demolition of the former Switzer and Boyd Livery Stables on the northwest corner of Albion and Lansing Streets. The building was torn down by George Daniels to make way for his large automobile garage, now referred to as the Shell Building.

The building farther down the street at the intersection with Main Street is the old Kelley Store building. At the time this photo was taken, it was sometimes called Crockett’s Corner. The proprietor, David Crockett, operated a confectionery & ice cream parlor, lunch counter and moving picture house. (Kelley House Collection, Kelley House Photographs)

On this day in Mendocino historyโ€ฆ

July 12, 1924 – Asa Bishop, a well-liked clerk at Burtt Elliottโ€™s general merchandise store, announced that he was buying the Liberty Theatre from Dave C. Crockett. Located in the Kelley building, the business also included a soda fountain, confectionery, and ice cream parlor.

In addition to Moving Picture shows 6 days per week (no show on Mondays), Bishop also sold camera film and offered film development with 24-hour turnaround. Later that year, his ice cream sales were so phenomenal, the National Ice Cream Company installed a three-compartment cabinet in his ice cream parlor.

In 1930, Bishop sold his business to E. E. Pollock of Sebastopol, who installed Talking Picture equipment. The first โ€œTalkieโ€ shown at the new Coast Theater was โ€œThe Desert Song,โ€ featuring Operatic Tenor John Boles in the lead role.

โ€œ๐˜”๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฐ๐˜ค๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ฐ ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜”๐˜ฐ๐˜ท๐˜ช๐˜ฆ๐˜ด: ๐˜๐˜ฐ๐˜ญ๐˜ญ๐˜บ๐˜ธ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜›๐˜ ๐˜”๐˜ฐ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ ๐˜—๐˜ช๐˜ค๐˜ต๐˜ถ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜๐˜ช๐˜ญ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜”๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฐ๐˜ค๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ฐ ๐˜Š๐˜ฐ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ตโ€ ๐˜ฃ๐˜บ ๐˜‰๐˜ณ๐˜ถ๐˜ค๐˜ฆ ๐˜“๐˜ฆ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ. ๐˜”๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ 50 ๐˜ง๐˜ช๐˜ญ๐˜ฎ๐˜ด ๐˜ง๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ 1904 ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ 2001 ๐˜ถ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ญ ๐˜ด๐˜ค๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜บ ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ญ ๐˜ข๐˜ค๐˜ต๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ๐˜ด. $20. https://www.kelleyhousemuseum.org/store/

Categories: MendoHistory

Leave a Reply