MendoHistory

This Day in MendoHistory: July 26, 1924- Shell Oil Company Paints Local Garage Yellow and Red

In collaboration with Mendocino’s Kelley House Museum, MendoFever will be publishing their “This Day in Mendocino History” Facebook posts. The Kelley House Museum works hard to document and curate Mendocino County’s rich history and can be visited in the seaside town of Mendocino.

Photo: The Shell Gas Station Building on Lansing Street in Mendocino, c. 1936. (Kelley House Collection, Kelley House Photographs)

On this day in Mendocino history…

July 26, 1924 – The Mendocino Beacon reported that the Bowman & Tyrrell garage had been painted a gorgeous yellow and red. The Shell Oil Company was painting all the local garages that sold their products in the company’s vivid colors.

The previous year, George Daniels tore down the original livery stable on the site to make way for an automobile garage. This structure was one of the largest garages on the coast, measuring 98 feet along Albion Street with 86 feet of frontage on Lansing. The building is single story with a remarkably engineered roof that spans 90 feet without ground supports. The roof and exterior walls were covered in corrugated metal to provide protection from fire. The stepped false front wall was also clad in metal, but stamped to mimic cut-stone blocks.

Daniels’ first tenant in July 1923 was James Bowman. In early 1924, Charles Tyrrell teamed up with Bowman to conduct a garage and auto repair business. Gas pumps stood on the east side of the building next to the unpaved Lansing Street. Tires, motor oil, and other automobile accessories were available for purchase. Bowman and Tyrrell also added a large window in front, where a show room displayed several Chevrolet cars. The school district’s busses were stored inside.

In 1937, Bowman sold his interest in the business to Tyrrell, who operated the garage as a sole proprietor, assisted by his daughter Helen, until his death in 1957 at the age of 70. Helen continued to operate the business with assistance from mechanic Lawrence Rodgers. It ceased to be a gas station about 1983.

𝘉𝘦𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘢 𝘮𝘦𝘮𝘣𝘦𝘳 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘒𝘦𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘺 𝘏𝘰𝘶𝘴𝘦 𝘵𝘰𝘥𝘢𝘺! 𝘊𝘩𝘰𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘢 𝘮𝘦𝘮𝘣𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘩𝘪𝘱 𝘭𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘴𝘶𝘪𝘵𝘴 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘱𝘰𝘤𝘬𝘦𝘵𝘣𝘰𝘰𝘬. 𝘈𝘴 𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘬 𝘺𝘰𝘶, 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘳𝘦𝘤𝘦𝘪𝘷𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘤𝘩𝘰𝘪𝘤𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘢 𝘣𝘦𝘢𝘶𝘵𝘪𝘧𝘶𝘭 𝘥𝘪𝘨𝘪𝘵𝘢𝘭 𝘱𝘩𝘰𝘵𝘰 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘢𝘳𝘤𝘩𝘪𝘷𝘦𝘴. 𝘐𝘧 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘢𝘭𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘥𝘺 𝘢 𝘮𝘦𝘮𝘣𝘦𝘳, 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘪𝘥𝘦𝘳 𝘨𝘪𝘷𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢 𝘨𝘪𝘧𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘮𝘦𝘮𝘣𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘩𝘪𝘱 𝘵𝘰 𝘢 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘥 𝘰𝘯𝘦. https://www.kelleyhousemuseum.org/membership/

Categories: MendoHistory

Leave a Reply