COVID-19

This Day in MendoHistory: August 7, 1880- Renovation Begins on Mendocino Warehouse

In collaboration with Mendocino’s Kelley House Museum, MendoFever will be publishing their “This Day in Mendocino History” Facebook posts. The Kelley House Museum works hard to document and curate Mendocino County’s rich history and can be visited in the seaside town of Mendocino.

Photo: Warehouse-garage originally built by William H. Kelley, 1957. The building is abandoned and boarded up. Rotary Park now occupies the space. The Lansing water tower and the Presbyterian Church can be seen in the background, with Schlafer’s Garage on the right. The sign on the fence reads, “Marvel’s Village Kitchen and Fountain. Old Fashioned Cooking” and refers to a cafe around the corner on Main Street. (Bette Duke, Robert R. Duke Collection, Kelley House Photographs)

On this day in Mendocino history…

August 7, 1880 – William H. Kelley was renovating his warehouse on the southeast corner of Albion and Lansing Streets. This structure sat on the property that is now Rotary Park.

In 1887, the Kiser brothers opened a meat market in this building. Over the next 25 years, eight different meat markets operated here.

In 1912, the Beacon reported that the warehouse building was again being renovated, this time to be used as a machine shop and garage. Later that year, Chester Byrne began operating a plumbing and general repair service from this building. That venture must not have lasted long though.

Starting in 1914, this building was primarily used as a garage and for storage. In 1917, John Triguerio parked his new truck here. Three men attempted to break in, but E. F. Alexander noticed them behaving suspiciously, and Constable Patton was summoned. Before the constable could arrive, Alexander, Dr. Brown, and Joseph Heisel returned to the garage after stopping for “heavy artillery,” but the three men had disappeared, leaving the door lifted off its steel track. Triguerio’s new truck was still inside.

In October of 1962, a windy storm blew down the building. The Beacon reported that the garage had not been used as a place of business for many years, but the debris “spread out beyond its foundation area into Albion street blocking that thoroughfare.”

𝘕𝘰𝘸 𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘶 𝘈𝘶𝘨𝘶𝘴𝘵 29, 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘴𝘶𝘮𝘮𝘦𝘳 𝘦𝘹𝘩𝘪𝘣𝘪𝘵, “𝘘𝘶𝘪𝘭𝘵𝘦𝘥 𝘐𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘪𝘤 𝘉𝘶𝘪𝘭𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘔𝘦𝘯𝘥𝘰𝘤𝘪𝘯𝘰,” 𝘢𝘯 𝘦𝘹𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘰𝘳𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘢𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘪𝘴𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘺 𝘰𝘧 𝘩𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘳𝘺 𝘮𝘦𝘦𝘵𝘴 𝘢𝘳𝘵! 𝘔𝘢𝘯𝘺 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘲𝘶𝘪𝘭𝘵 𝘴𝘲𝘶𝘢𝘳𝘦𝘴 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘴𝘢𝘭𝘦, 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘤𝘦𝘦𝘥𝘴 𝘣𝘦𝘯𝘦𝘧𝘪𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘪𝘴𝘵 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘒𝘦𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘺 𝘏𝘰𝘶𝘴𝘦’𝘴 𝘦𝘥𝘶𝘤𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘢𝘭 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘨𝘳𝘢𝘮𝘮𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘤𝘩𝘰𝘰𝘭𝘴. 𝘍𝘰𝘳 𝘪𝘯𝘲𝘶𝘪𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘴 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘱𝘶𝘳𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘰𝘯𝘦, 𝘱𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘦 𝘦𝘮𝘢𝘪𝘭 info@kelleyhousemuseum.org

Categories: COVID-19

Leave a Reply