In collaboration with Mendocino’s Kelley House Museum, MendoFever will be publishing their “This Day in Mendocino History” Facebook posts. The Kelley House Museum works hard to document and curate Mendocino County’s rich history and can be visited in the seaside town of Mendocino.
On this day in Mendocino history…
August 16, 1890 – J. D. Johnson was completing construction of a second cottage on the north side of Ukiah street between Lansing and Howard streets. Two years earlier, he had purchased part of Maria Walsh’s lot, just west of her house on the northwest corner of Ukiah and Howard streets.
Johnson built two identical, but mirrored, houses here and rented them out as residences. These ornate cottages feature small porches and large bay windows. The buildings had cresting and finials on the roofs, and a scroll-cut wood plank fence separated the small front yards from the boardwalk at the street.
The small cottages appealed to a variety of residents. In early 1891, Mrs. Z. E. Packard became one of Johnson’s first tenants. She and Justin Packard had divorced, and their home on the northeast corner of Main and Evergreen streets had been sold to L. H. Bither, the brother of her ex-husband’s new wife.
Others rented the cottages while they attended Mendocino High School. In August 1899, Fort Bragg siblings Maud, Delia, and Charlie Weller rented one of the Johnson Cottages on Ukiah Street so they could be closer to the school.
In 1931, H. J. Stauer purchased these two cottages from the estate of J. D. Johnson, who had died in 1927. The cottages have since changed from residential to commercial use and have housed several businesses, including Tickle Your Fancy, Fine Line Gallery, On Angel Wings, and most recently, the Leonard Moore Cooperative.
𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘐𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘪𝘤 𝘔𝘦𝘯𝘥𝘰𝘤𝘪𝘯𝘰 𝘉𝘶𝘪𝘭𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘴 𝘣𝘺 𝘖𝘤𝘦𝘢𝘯 𝘞𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘘𝘶𝘪𝘭𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘴 𝘪𝘴 𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘢𝘷𝘢𝘪𝘭𝘢𝘣𝘭𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘦! 𝘛𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘣𝘦𝘢𝘶𝘵𝘪𝘧𝘶𝘭 𝘤𝘰𝘧𝘧𝘦𝘦-𝘵𝘢𝘣𝘭𝘦 𝘣𝘰𝘰𝘬 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘥𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘢𝘯𝘺𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘢 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘔𝘦𝘯𝘥𝘰𝘤𝘪𝘯𝘰 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘢𝘯 𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘳𝘦𝘤𝘪𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘢𝘳𝘵. 𝘛𝘸𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘺-𝘴𝘪𝘹 𝘪𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘪𝘤 𝘣𝘶𝘪𝘭𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘴 𝘪𝘯 𝘔𝘦𝘯𝘥𝘰𝘤𝘪𝘯𝘰 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘤𝘰𝘭𝘰𝘳𝘧𝘶𝘭𝘭𝘺-𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘥 𝘰𝘯 𝘲𝘶𝘪𝘭𝘵 𝘴𝘲𝘶𝘢𝘳𝘦𝘴. 𝘌𝘢𝘤𝘩 𝘱𝘩𝘰𝘵𝘰 𝘣𝘦𝘢𝘶𝘵𝘪𝘧𝘶𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘤𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘦𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘦𝘵𝘢𝘪𝘭 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘤𝘳𝘢𝘧𝘵𝘴𝘮𝘢𝘯𝘴𝘩𝘪𝘱 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘰𝘳𝘪𝘨𝘪𝘯𝘢𝘭, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘪𝘴 𝘢𝘤𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘱𝘢𝘯𝘪𝘦𝘥 𝘣𝘺 𝘢 𝘣𝘭𝘢𝘤𝘬 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘵𝘦 𝘱𝘩𝘰𝘵𝘰 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘶𝘪𝘭𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘭𝘶𝘴 𝘢 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘧 𝘩𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘳𝘺. $40. https://www.kelleyhousemuseum.org/store/