The National Weather Service has issued a red flag warning for interior Mendocino County, Lake County, southeast Humboldt County, and Trinity County predicted to last through 5:00 a.m. Friday, September 10.
The NWS Office in Eureka characterized their confidence in the likelihood of the event as “moderate to high” with predictions of scattered dry lightning and gusty outflow winds increasing the threat for fire starts and rapid fire spread in the region.
The following are safety tips to practice during Red Flag Warnings published by Nevada County:
- Be prepared for the possibility of a public utility power shut off. Have food, lighting, water, and charged batteries that will last for several days.
- Prepare for quick evacuation.
- Park your vehicle towards the roadway and load your Go Bag.
- Know how to open your garage if power is unavailable.
- Be sure you have a full tank of gas.
- Keep pets nearby.
- Have a plan to transport large animals and livestock.
- Always check towing equipment and eliminate dragging hazards.
- Do not mow or trim dry grass.
- Do not use equipment outdoors that may create a spark.
- Never park on dry grass.
- Never burn on a Red Flag Warning day.