Sometimes a sliver of time can capture the immensity of our world. Joshua Harden found himself immersed in the primordial and other-worldly environment of the Sinkyone Wilderness, Mendocino County’s very own stretch of the legendary Lost Coast.
In a snap of the aperture, the seagrasses stand tall in the foreground, a Roosevelt Elk Bull stands tall in the middle ground, and the bluffs that dominate Sinkyone Wilderness loom in the background
Where the King’s Range stretch of the Lost Coast is punctuated by long beaches of black sand, south of Shelter Cove the topography becomes one of a continent giving way to the mighty Pacific. Steep bluffs plummet into the savage seas and hikers navigate steep inland terrain to reach various harbors nestled along this stretch of coast.
Visitors of the Sinkyone Wilderness are often met with the site of the Roosevelt Elk. A pamphlet published by California State Parks explains that the park’s herd was “originally relocated from Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park” after being rescued by a group of ranchers working to save the species and their habitat.
MendoFever’s newest column, MendoMoments, is dedicated to showcasing the land, animals, and people that make up Mendocino County. All Mendocino County residents and visitors are invited to participate. Send photographs to firstname.lastname@example.org including a description of what your photograph depicts, where it was taken, and any other important details.
- MendoMoments: A Caspar Shack with the Patina of Time
- MendoMoments: The Nearness of Autumn Comes Into Focus on the Mendocino Bluffs
- MendoMoments: The Long and Winding Philo-Greenwood Road
- MendoMoments: Surfer Rides a Wave Under the Blood Red Sun of Smoky Skies
- MendoMoments: A Gray Whale Emerges from the Pacific
- MendoMoments: A Wake of Vultures Feast on a Carcass
- MendoMoments: A Glass Beach Squirrel Gets Ornery When It Does Not Get a Snack
- MendoMoments: A Barn Owl in the Backyard
- MendoMoments: Lost in the Maze of Brooktrails
- MendoMoments: Noyo Harbor’s Baby Ospreys Emerge
- MendoMoments: Memorial Day at Russian River Cemetery
- MendoMoments: Soaking Feet in a Cool Creek
- MendoMoments: The Super Flower Blood Moon Descends Behind Duncan Peak
- MendoMoments: A Little Library in the Hamlet of Hearst
- MendoMoments: Thunderheads Gather Above the Mayacama Mountains
- MendoMoments: Lake Mendocino Through the Lens of a Newcomer