Wednesday, October 4, 2023

As Governor Gavin Newsom is Projected to Beat the Recall, Mendocino County’s Preliminary Results Mirror Newsom’s Significant Lead Across the State of California

Governor Gavin Newsom at the site of a California wildfire [Photograph from his Facebook page]

As ballots are still being counted across the state, Governor Gavin Newsom has declared victory in today’s recall election he characterized as a GOP-backed attempt to disrupt California.

Data collected by the San Francisco Chronicle at 10:17 p.m. indicated 66.6% of Californians voted against the recall effort leaving only 33.4% for his recall. As expected, the leading candidate to replace Governor Newsom is Larry Elder, a black Los-Angeles based radio talk show host earning 44.3% of the vote.

Mendocino County’s current election numbers resemble the data gathered by the San Francisco Chronicle, with 69.76% of county residents voting to retain Governor Newsom while 30.24% voted to recall him. Of the replacement Republican candidates, Elder earned 38.2% of Mendocino County voters who voted yes on the recall.

Governor Newsom, in a speech to supporters tonight in Sacramento, said: 

“We said yes to science. We said yes to vaccines. We said yes to ending this pandemic. We said yes to people’s right to vote without fear of fake fraud or voter suppression. We said yes to women’s fundamental constitutional right to decide for herself what she does with her body and her fate and future. We said yes to diversity. We said yes to inclusion. We said yes to pluralism. We said yes to all those things that he we hold dear as Californians and I would argue as Americans. Economic justice, social justice, racial justice, environmental justice. Our values, where California’s made so much progress. All of those things were on the ballot this evening.”

What are your thoughts on the results? Is this the outcome you had hoped for? Comment below.

- Advertisement -


  1. I was willing to consider the recall until I read about each person running from the Republican side and realized that the Republicans were poorly organized and that the party had not even endorsed a person they deemed best. Talk about a waste of time and money.

Join the Conversation

Matt LaFever
Matt LaFeverhttps://mendofever.com/
I like to think of myself as a reporter for the Average Joe. Journalism has become a craft defined largely by city dwellers on America's coasts. It’s time to take it back. I have been an Emerald Triangle resident since 2006 and this is year ten in Mendocino County. Please, email me at matthewplafever@gmail.com if you know a story that needs to be told.

Today's News


News from the Week