Last Friday, October 15, 2021, an eyewitness watched a woman jump off the Ron Ledford Memorial Bridge on Talmage Road east of Ukiah. Mendocino County Sheriff’s Office Captain Greg Van Patten told us the woman remained unidentified until yesterday when investigators determined the woman to be Jacith Trumpower, a 37-year-old from Ukiah, California.
As to how the woman was identified, Captain Van Patten told us a patrol deputy had contacted her “a day or two before her death.” At that point, Trumpower was reported as a missing person but “wasn’t missing, just didn’t want to talk with the reporting person,” Captain Van Patten told us.
As per scanner traffic from Friday, first responders were dispatched to the Ron Ledford Memorial Bridge on Talmage Road after an eyewitness reported a woman jumping off the northwest portion of the bridge. First responders attempted CPR on the woman but were unable to resuscitate her stating she was deceased from a “trauma event.”
Once again, in the spirit of supporting the community and the all-too-common struggle for mental health, the following are resources that can help if you or a loved one are struggling with thoughts of suicide:
- The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI): 1-800-950-6264, email@example.com
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA): (800) 662-4357
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH): (866) 615-6464
- Mental Health America Hotline: Text MHA to 741741
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
- Crisis Text Line: Text CONNECT to 741741
To provide greater context on the issue of suicide across the globe, we have also included the following infographic from the World Health Organization: