On the edge of the continent, the Pacific laps on primeval shores. Mighty bluffs are made into grains of sand as the relentless waves are brought to a halt.
A distinct hiss can be heard, a salty wind, seabirds meander, and pebbles tumble as the waves recede.
Men in skin-tight suits carry their surfboards and paddle outward striving to stylishly return to shore.
While most cast suspicious glances at the surf off Mendocino County’s coast, local surfers see a bounty.
Winds come from all directions, swells approach the shore unimpeded. South swells are often ignored because too often they end in sheer cliffs and rocky beaches. Winter brings chaotic waters but gives way to a spring replete with waves.
These waves draw the desirous eyes of only the most adventurous.
Toto, we ain’t in Malibu anymore.
The Mendocino County Surfer sees opportunity in the expanse, seeks order in the chaos, and feels calm in the storm.
MendoMoments, is dedicated to showcasing the land, animals, and people that make up Mendocino County. All Mendocino County residents and visitors are invited to participate. Send photographs to email@example.com including a description of what your photograph depicts, where it was taken, and any other important details.
- MendoMoments: Longing for Her ‘Happy Place’, a Visitor Returns to Mendocino
- MendoMoments: The Milky Way Takes Shape Over Point Arena
- MendoMoments: The Joy of a Child on a Winter’s Morn
- MendoMoments: The Warmth of Santa Claus Eminates from a Fort Bragg Storefront
- MendoMoments: A Darkened Sky, A Quiet Home, A Leafless Sycamore
- MendoMoments: ‘Frost and Fire’- A Covelo Sunrise on a Chilly Morn
- MendoMoments: The Pacific Transforms as Days Shorten and Shadows Grow
- MendoMoments: Sunset at Blues Beach
- MendoMoments: Savage Waves Batter the Mendocino Headlands
- MendoMoments: Fall Colors in Ukiah’s Downtown
- MendoMoments: A Sherbert Sunrise Illuminates a Blanket of Fog Above Redwood Valley
- MendoMoments: A Roosevelt Elk at Sinkyone Wilderness
- MendoMoments: A Caspar Shack with the Patina of Time
- MendoMoments: The Nearness of Autumn Comes Into Focus on the Mendocino Bluffs
- MendoMoments: The Long and Winding Philo-Greenwood Road
- MendoMoments: Surfer Rides a Wave Under the Blood Red Sun of Smoky Skies
- MendoMoments: A Gray Whale Emerges from the Pacific
- MendoMoments: A Wake of Vultures Feast on a Carcass
- MendoMoments: A Glass Beach Squirrel Gets Ornery When It Does Not Get a Snack
- MendoMoments: A Barn Owl in the Backyard
- MendoMoments: Lost in the Maze of Brooktrails
- MendoMoments: Noyo Harbor’s Baby Ospreys Emerge
- MendoMoments: Memorial Day at Russian River Cemetery
- MendoMoments: Soaking Feet in a Cool Creek
- MendoMoments: The Super Flower Blood Moon Descends Behind Duncan Peak
- MendoMoments: A Little Library in the Hamlet of Hearst
- MendoMoments: Thunderheads Gather Above the Mayacama Mountains
- MendoMoments: Lake Mendocino Through the Lens of a Newcomer
There are also many women surfers here in Mendo
“These waves draw the desirous eyes of only the most adventurous.”,,,who lurk below with tail and dorsal fin.
[…] MendoMoments: The Savage Surfers of the Mendocino Coast […]