The following is an open letter written to Dr. Andrew Coren, Mendocino County’s Public Health Officer. For full disclosure, Judy Valado is the author of this letter and a contributor to MendoFever. This letter is written as a resident of Mendocino County.
Remember opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect that of MendoFever nor have we checked the letters for accuracy.
I listened to the Covid-19 update yesterday, February 25, 2022, and I’m happy to see our numbers going down. However, there is a number not mentioned throughout this pandemic and I’m hoping you can shed some light on it for me.
As a Mendocino County resident, I understand the challenges of Covid but have to wonder and ask about the balance of other concerns such as those listed below.
My questions are:
- How many folks with illnesses other than Covid have fell through the cracks because of lack of beds/staff during this pandemic?
- How many deaths (other than Covid) have resulted from people not being able to be admitted to Mendocino County hospitals because of lack of beds/staff?
- How many people are sent home with illnesses because of lack of beds/staff and later died?
- How many are sent home from the ER because there are no beds available in other counties?
- How many suicides have we had in Mendocino County since the pandemic started?
Seems to me we are talking a lot about Covid and not mentioning those affected by lack of treatment for other illnesses because of the numbers of Covid patients/lack of staff.