The following is an article written by Jeanne Jackson for her blog Mendonoma Sightings where she documents the wildlife, the land, and the waters of our coast.
Jeff Goll was at Navarro Beach yesterday, April 5th. There was a high surf advisory and the conditions didn’t disappoint. You can almost hear the action by looking at Jeff’s photos.
Jeff told me the Navarro River is currently blocked from flowing into the ocean by the big sandbar. So this River Otter had to hotfoot it over the sandbar to reach the ocean.
North American River Otters can navigate on land, in rivers and in oceans. Once a River Otter was seen crossing Highway One in Gualala! They are great climbers and can easily climb up a bluff face. They cannot abide pollution so their presence is a good sign for the health of the Mendonoma Coast’s rivers and creeks.
Thanks to Jeff for allowing me to share his photos with you here. To see more of Jeff’s nature photography, here is his website: http://jeffgoll.com/
The wind has disappeared and the ocean is calm today. Warm weather is predicted for the next few days. Head for the coast! Bonus sighting: the first mother/calf Gray Whale pair was seen a few days ago off the Point Arena Lighthouse Peninsula by Scott and Tree Mercer.
How Can You Support the Efforts of Mendonoma Sightings?
- Buy Jeanne Jackson’s book Mendonoma Sightings Throughout the Year here. The 270-page, full-color documentation of our coast’s beauty would make for a great gift or coffee table conversation piece.
- Jeanne Jackson has also written two children’s books: Sunny Loves Spring on the California Coast and Sunny Loves Summer on the California Coast. These playful children’s books were written to instill within children a love of nature. Jackson will be publishing the other two seasons this year. Those books can be purchased at http://sunnylovesnature.com/
- Check out Craig Tooley’s incredible photography of our coastline here. Buy some prints of his photos, get them framed, and bring the Mendonoma coast home.
- “Follow” and “Like” the Mendonoma Sightings Throughout the Year Facebook page for direct access to Jackson’s dispatches of life on Mendonoma.
- If you have your own Mendonoma Sighting, contact Jeanne Jackson at email@example.com to submit your narrative and photograph so she can document the experience.