Scanner traffic around 9:30 p.m. indicated a male shot a female with a firearm and then shot himself on the 4000 block of Burke Hill Drive
Multiple law enforcement agencies are responding and medical units are being told to stage until law enforcement has cleared the scene.
A first responder on scene has reported that both involved parties appear to be deceased.
UPDATE 9:40 p.m.: Medical units have been canceled after law enforcement on scene confirmed both parties are deceased.
UPDATE 9:44 p.m.: Information via the scanner indicates the incident was reported by a neighbor who heard a female adult yelling for help through a neighbor’s window. The reporting party also stated there could be two juveniles in the home, but that has not been confirmed by law enforcement on the scene.
Many aspects of the Emerald Triangle’s rural lifestyle lend themselves to suicide risk factors. Those risk factors, as described by the Center for Disease Control, include barriers to health care, social isolation, and high rates of adverse childhood experiences,
Please remember, if you or a loved one are suffering from mental distress there are many resources that can be accessed including:
- Mendocino County Mental Health Crisis (855)838-0404
- Humboldt County Mental Health Crisis (707)445-7715
- Lake County Mental Health Crisis 1(800)900-2075
- The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI): 1-800-950-6264, email@example.com
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA): (800) 662-4357
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH): (866) 615-6464
- Mental Health America Hotline: Text MHA to 741741
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
- Crisis Text Line: Text CONNECT to 741741
In efforts to educate the public regarding suicide prevention, the following infographic from the National Institute of Mental Health provides guidance in warning signs associated with suicide:
Please remember that this story is unfolding. Information is being reported as we gather it. However, some of the information coming from witnesses and initial official reports could be wrong. We will do our best to get the facts but, in the case that something is inaccurate, we will update with correct information as soon as we can.