The following is an article written by Jeanne Jackson for her blog Mendonoma Sightings where she documents the wildlife, the land, and the waters of our coast.
Allen Vinson noticed this Common Raven with something in its beak. It turned out to be a bright, red apple. I wonder where this Raven found this apple, which looks to be in perfect condition.
The Raven took the apple to a nearby bluff where he/she ate some of the fruit. Then the bird flew to where its fledgling waited, and proceeded to feed the chick some of the apple.
It’s always good to eat fruit and veggies! Allen also took this photo of the beautiful bird in flight.
Thanks to Allen for allowing me to share his photos with you here.
Clouds are pouring in, and the first rain showers have arrived on the Mendonoma Coast around 3:30 this afternoon. Thank you, Mother Nature, for the blessed rain!
How Can You Support the Efforts of Mendonoma Sightings?
- Buy Jeanne Jackson’s book Mendonoma Sightings Throughout the Year here. The 270-page, full-color documentation of our coast’s beauty would make for a great gift or coffee table conversation piece.
- Jeanne Jackson has also written two children’s books: Sunny Loves Spring on the California Coast and Sunny Loves Summer on the California Coast. These playful children’s books were written to instill within children a love of nature. Jackson will be publishing the other two seasons this year. Those books can be purchased at http://sunnylovesnature.com/
- Check out Craig Tooley’s incredible photography of our coastline here. Buy some prints of his photos, get them framed, and bring the Mendonoma coast home.
- “Follow” and “Like” the Mendonoma Sightings Throughout the Year Facebook page for direct access to Jackson’s dispatches of life on Mendonoma.
- If you have your own Mendonoma Sighting, contact Jeanne Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org to submit your narrative and photograph so she can document the experience.