The following is an article written by Jeanne Jackson for her blog Mendonoma Sightings where she documents the wildlife, the land, and the waters of our coast.
Brenna Dix had a great sighting on a recent weekend. She wrote, “I was sitting on the beach at the Point Arena Pier. Suddenly this River Otter swam up to the beach and ran up the shore.
“The otter looked at the people walking on the sidewalk, and immediately ran back into the water. No one else seemed to notice. He was only in sight for a matter seconds. I have never been more happy to have my camera with me. Right place, right time!”
“It’s almost like the River Otter thought “YIKES! Giants!” and headed back to the ocean. It’s amazing to me how close the otter got to the people, and that they didn’t notice.”
Thanks to Brenna for allowing me to share her photos with you here.
After Saturday night’s rainstorm, and Sunday morning’s showers, we are having a beautiful sunny day today. Warm weather moving in for the next couple of days.
How Can You Support the Efforts of Mendonoma Sightings?
- Buy Jeanne Jackson’s book Mendonoma Sightings Throughout the Year here. The 270-page, full-color documentation of our coast’s beauty would make for a great gift or coffee table conversation piece.
- Jeanne Jackson has also written two children’s books: Sunny Loves Spring on the California Coast and Sunny Loves Summer on the California Coast. These playful children’s books were written to instill within children a love of nature. Jackson will be publishing the other two seasons this year. Those books can be purchased at http://sunnylovesnature.com/
- Check out Craig Tooley’s incredible photography of our coastline here. Buy some prints of his photos, get them framed, and bring the Mendonoma coast home.
- “Follow” and “Like” the Mendonoma Sightings Throughout the Year Facebook page for direct access to Jackson’s dispatches of life on Mendonoma.
- If you have your own Mendonoma Sighting, contact Jeanne Jackson at email@example.com to submit your narrative and photograph so she can document the experience.