This afternoon Fort Bragg Fire Department responded to a residential structure fire on the 100 block of South Harold Street. Though they quickly gained control, Fort Bragg Fire Chief Steve Orsi told us a one-bedroom home was left with major damage, and an adjacent neighbor’s wall was damaged by smoke.
Chief Orsi said his firefighters determined that the fire began in the area of the home’s breaker box suggesting the ignition source was electrical.
Initial reports indicated a propane tank was in the burn area which led to emergency personnel recommending nearby residents to briefly evacuate.
The home was not occupied at the time except for a few pets which Chief Orsi said made it out safe.
Reflecting on the nature of the fire, Chief Orsi recommended that any electrical work on the older homes in Mendocino County be conducted by a licensed electrician.
Countless Mendocino County residents rely on the swift action of our volunteer fire departments during fires, medical emergencies, traffic accidents, and more. They do that work with minimal funding. To support the essential work of the many volunteers that work with the Fort Bragg Police Department, send a check to 141 N Main Street-Fort Bragg, Ca 95437.