The following is an article written by Jeanne Jackson for her blog Mendonoma Sightings where she documents the wildlife, the land, and the waters of our coast.
Summer is when the Leopard Lilies bloom. Chris Pechal found this beauty recently.
Lilium pardalinum is their Scientific name and they are endemic to California. A legend warns that if you sniff these wildflowers, you will get freckles!
Thanks to Chris for allowing me to share her photo with you here.
Fog over the ocean has kept the immediate coast very pleasant today and there is very little wind. As many other places are sweltering in high heat, I am always grateful for the summer fog that keeps the Mendonoma Coast cool.
How Can You Support the Efforts of Mendonoma Sightings?
- Buy Jeanne Jackson’s book Mendonoma Sightings Throughout the Year here. The 270-page, full-color documentation of our coast’s beauty would make for a great gift or coffee table conversation piece.
- Jeanne Jackson has also written two children’s books: Sunny Loves Spring on the California Coast and Sunny Loves Summer on the California Coast. These playful children’s books were written to instill within children a love of nature. Jackson will be publishing the other two seasons this year. Those books can be purchased at http://sunnylovesnature.com/
- Check out Craig Tooley’s incredible photography of our coastline here. Buy some prints of his photos, get them framed, and bring the Mendonoma coast home.
- “Follow” and “Like” the Mendonoma Sightings Throughout the Year Facebook page for direct access to Jackson’s dispatches of life on Mendonoma.
- If you have your own Mendonoma Sighting, contact Jeanne Jackson at email@example.com to submit your narrative and photograph so she can document the experience.