The following is an article written by Jeanne Jackson for her blog Mendonoma Sightings where she documents the wildlife, the land, and the waters of our coast.
Jon and Susan Sandoval heard a noise on their deck in Gualala at about 8:30 a.m. They found this female, adult Mountain Lion staring back at them.
Doesn’t she look healthy and strong? It’s a mystery why she was on the Sandoval’s deck because they do not have house pets or animals such as chickens to attract her. Amazing! Maybe she was following the scent of a Deer, her favorite prey.
Thanks to Susan for allowing me to share her photo with you here.
Lots of cooling, moist fog on the immediate coast today, keeping temperatures in the 60’s – nice!
How Can You Support the Efforts of Mendonoma Sightings?
- Buy Jeanne Jackson’s book Mendonoma Sightings Throughout the Year here. The 270-page, full-color documentation of our coast’s beauty would make for a great gift or coffee table conversation piece.
- Jeanne Jackson has also written two children’s books: Sunny Loves Spring on the California Coast and Sunny Loves Summer on the California Coast. These playful children’s books were written to instill within children a love of nature. Jackson will be publishing the other two seasons this year. Those books can be purchased at http://sunnylovesnature.com/
- Check out Craig Tooley’s incredible photography of our coastline here. Buy some prints of his photos, get them framed, and bring the Mendonoma coast home.
- “Follow” and “Like” the Mendonoma Sightings Throughout the Year Facebook page for direct access to Jackson’s dispatches of life on Mendonoma.
- If you have your own Mendonoma Sighting, contact Jeanne Jackson at email@example.com to submit your narrative and photograph so she can document the experience.