The following is a press release issued by the Office of California State Governor Gavin Newsom:
The state’s SMARTER Plan will maintain California’s operational preparedness to address the next phase of the COVID-19 pandemic and will continue to guide the state’s work to support communities across the state. Additionally, COVID-19 vaccines, testing, and treatment continue to be available at sites within local communities across the state.
- California’s COVID-19 death rate was among the lowest in the nation.
- If California had Texas’ death rate, 27,000 more people would have died here.
- If California had Florida’s rate, 56,000 more people would have died here.
- Nationally, the COVID-19 death rate was 339 per 100,000, far above California’s rate.
- California administered more than 88 million vaccines – translating to nearly 73% of the state’s population being vaccinated.
- California’s GDP contracted less and grew faster than the U.S. GDP between 2019 and 2022.
- California’s unemployment rate fell nearly twice as fast as other large population states.
- California is on track to become the 4th largest economy in the world.