Drivers should expect to see more folks on the roadway this morning after minimal snow impacts overnight. With temperatures currently freezing or below throughout MendoLand, commuters must be mindful of icy roads.
There have been multiple incidents this morning around the county due to icy roadways. In Hopland, one vehicle wreck occurred on Mountain House Road and two others on Highway 101 near the Rock Shop. Similar conditions led to a solo-vehicle crash near Redwood Rancheria.
The following road closures are in effect:
- State Route 175 between Hopland and Lakeport due to winter weather hazards.
- There is a road closure near Redwood Valley’s Road B and East Road after a tree came down last night and brought down utility lines.
- Eel River Road/Van Arsdale Road, the main route used between the Ukiah Valley and Lake Pillsbury, is closed after multiple trees came down in the recent storms.
- Highway 1’s northern terminus between Rockport and Leggett remains closed.
- Allow enough time.
- Keep windshield and windows clear.
- Slow down.
- Be more observant.
- When stalled, stay with your vehicle and try to conserve fuel while maintaining warmth.
- Give snowplows room to work.
For the latest information about road conditions, check out the Caltrans Quickmap which provides a real-time, interactive map of road conditions.
As you consider today’s commute, please remember some of these simple principles of driving safely in winter weather from the California Department of Motor Vehicles: