The following is a press release issued by CAL FIRE:
Join CAL FIRE and the JAG Subcommittee to provide input in the Management Plan Scope of Work When: 5pm-7pm October 13th Where: First Presbyterian Church of Fort Bragg 367 S Sanderson Way, Fort Bragg, CA 95437
The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE) will soon release a Request for Proposal (RFP) for an experienced and qualified consulting firm to provide public review of the Jackson Demonstration State Forest Management Plan and development of a revised/new Forest Management Plan for the next 10-year period.
The work of this experienced and qualified consultant will be guided by the scope of Work (SOW) included in the RFP. CAL FIRE and the Jackson Advisory Group (JAG) have been soliciting written and in-person public comment over the last several months regarding specific modifications to the SOW language to ensure that the consulting firms applying to the RFP are prepared to address the broad interests of JDSF’S many stakeholder groups.
The specific objectives of JDSF currently referenced in the SOW are:
- Tribal access and co-management.
- Sustainable forest management
- Accelerated forest restoration
- Research and demonstration
- Public recreation
The consultant will also make the revised Management Plan easier to read and understand and will present a general “road map” for achieving goals and objectives by identifying, discussing and/or addressing all the following issues:
- How silviculture, fire risk reduction, wildlife habitat restoration, carbon sequestration monitoring and adaptive management techniques will be utilized.
- How proposed forest management goals and objectives will be integrated with other management goals such as research, tribal and public access, and recreation.
Written comments can be submitted to JDSF@fire.ca.gov through 8:00 a.m. November 10th for discussion at the November 15, 2023, JAG Meeting.