A tragic series of events resulted in the fatal electrocution of a Lake County man on Tuesday, November 7, 2023.
Lake County Sheriff’s Office Public Information Officer Lauren Berlinn told us the incident began when 36-year-old Nice resident Steven Michael Green had gotten a drone stuck in a tree.
Attempting to dislodge the drone, Green used an aluminum pole while standing on an aluminum ladder when Green accidentally touched a power line close to the tree.
Berlinn told us that first responders “attempted life-saving measures for close to 30 minutes, which were unfortunately unsuccessful.”
Scanner traffic from that evening indicated the incident occurred around 5:20 p.m. in the area of the Sandy Beach Trailer Lodge in Lucerne.
A study entitled “Electrical Injuries” published in the National Library of Medicine indicates approximately 1,000 Americans die every year as a result of electrical injuries which the study describes as a “complex form of trauma that is often associated with high morbidity and mortality.”
Review the following infographic from the Electrical Safety Foundation for some essential considerations when working near powerlines:ESFI-NESM-Residential-OHPL-Safety-Updated-With-Tag