The following is a press release issued by the United State Department of Agriculture Forest Service
As of 6:00 AM, Friday, September 11, 2020, the fires that were formally known as Elkhorn, Hopkins, Vinegar Peak and Willow Basin will now be reported as the August Complex-North Zone. The North Zone will be managed by California Interagency Management Team 5, under the direction of Rick Young, Incident Commander. The August Complex-North Zone is burning on the Mendocino, Shasta- Trinity and Six Rivers National Forests.
The August Complex-North Zone will release one morning information update with fire facts and a current situation overview. Also, throughout the day as changes or significant events occur, information will be posted to Facebook, Twitter and Inciweb at the above addresses.
Current Situation: Firefighters continued today making good progress improving a containment line along the 35 Road near Murphy Glades. (Shasta-Trinity National Forest). This is an important containment line to stop the forward progress of the fire to the north.
On the west and north west perimeter, (Six Rivers National Forest), crews continue to provide structure protection as the fire continues to be active in Ruth Valley, south of Ruth. The goal is to try and push the fire north towards Horse Ridge and Soldier Basin. The east perimeter of the fire is in mop-up and patrol status.
Weather: Significant smoke shading over the fire area moderated daytime temperatures. Relative humidity is increasing with some onshore flow tonight. Winds will generally be light as the stable air mass continues to dominate the weather pattern.
Evacuation Orders and Warnings for Mendocino, Humboldt, Tehama and Trinity Counties.
Mendocino County: Evacuation Orders
• Zone S – South of County Line, East of Bell Springs Rd, North of Bell Springs Creek and West of the North Fork of the Eel River.
• Zone Q – South of the County Line, West and North of the North Fork of the Eel River and North and East of Bald Mountain Rd.
• Zone U – South of the County Line, East and North of the East Branch of the South Fork of the Eel River, West of Bell Springs Rd.
• Zone T – South of Bell Springs Cekk, East of Bell Springs Rd, North of Iron Pek and Simmerly Rd, West of the Eel River.
• Zone R – West of south of Mina Rd, South of the North Fork of Eel River, East of the Eel River.
• Zone P – South of the County Line, East of the Mina Rd, North of Hulls Valley Rd and West of Hulls Creek.
• Zone O – South of the County Line, East of Hulls Creek, North of Mendocino Pass Rd, and West of Williams Creek.
Evacuation Point: Covelo High School, 76280 High School Street, Covelo, CA
Small/Large Animal and Livestock Care: Covelo Rodeo Grounds, 77286 Covelo Rd, Covelo, CA. Laytonville Rodeo Grounds are open for livestock (Harwood Rd, Laytonville, CA).
Trinity County: Evacuation Orders
• Ruth, Zenia, Kettenpom, Hettenshaw Valley Evacuation Warnings
• Ruth Lake, Mad River, Forest Glen and Post Mountain Evacuation Point: Humboldt County Fairgrounds, 1250 5th Street, Ferndale, CA 95536
Humboldt County: Information Line for Humboldt County residents affected by current evacuations is 707-268-2500. Evacuation Orders
• Areas south of Highway 36 in Bridgeville, and all communities along Alderpoint Road down to the Mendocino/Trinity County Line. Evacuation Warnings
• Areas west of Bell Springs Road to Highway 101 spanning from Alderpoint Road to the Mendocino/Trinity County Line (including Garberville).
• Alderpoint, Palo Verde, Island Mountain and Harris
Forest Closures: Shasta-Trinity, Mendocino, and Six Rivers National Forests. Due to unprecedented and historic fire conditions throughout the state, the USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region has closed all 18 national forests in California. This includes the Mendocino, Shasta- Trinity and Six Rivers National Forest. It is critical that all national forest visitors follow these important closures and restrictions for their own safety and the safety of our firefighters. If you have specific questions about forest closures, please call your local Forest Service office.
Cooperating Agencies: Trinity County Sheriff’s Office, Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office, Mendocino Sheriff’s Office, California Highway Patrol, National Weather Service, BLM, Cal OES, CALFIRE
Safety Message: Smoke will limit visibility while driving, please use caution as firefighters and equipment are working in the fire area.
Wildfire Preparedness: Plan, Know and Act. Please be ready if a wildfire nears your property or community. For more information visit the following webs at: http://www.readyforwildfire.org/
A map published by the Forest Service portraying the August Complex-North Zone.