The following is a press release issued by the Bureau of Land Management:
The Bureau of Land Management has issued seasonal fire restrictions for public lands managed by the Ukiah Field Office effective immediately. Seasonal restrictions are issued to prevent wildfires and for public safety and are in addition to the year-round statewide fire prevention order and will remain in effect until further notice.
On average, human-caused wildfires make up 9 out of 10 wildfires in California. “With the increasing risk of wildland fires throughout the Northern California region, it’s important that we do everything we can to prevent fire ignition,” said Ukiah Field Manager Nick Lavrov.
The following fire restrictions have gone into effect:
• Setting, building, maintaining, attending, or using a campfire or open flame of any kind is prohibited, except campfires within approved fire pits and grills already provided in developed recreation sites with a valid California campfire permit. Controlled flame devices, such as portable stoves and lanterns with shut-off valves, using gas, jellied petroleum, or pressurized liquid fuel are allowed and require a valid California campfire permit. California campfire permits are available free at all BLM, U.S. Forest Service and Cal Fire offices or at www.readyforwildfire.org/prevent-wildfire/campfire-safety/.
• All recreational target shooting is temporarily prohibited under this order, except hunting with a valid State of California hunting license during the legal pursuit of game. Visit www.wheretoshoot.org for alternative recreational target shooting locations
• Operating or using any internal combustion engine (e.g., chainsaws, generators, ATVs) off BLM designated roads and trails. All internal combustion engines, with the exception of registered street-legal vehicles, must be equipped with a properly installed and maintained spark arresting device.
• Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or camp trailer or while stopped/standing in a designated developed campground with a three-foot diameter area barren or cleared of all flammable materials and away from federal facility doors, windows, and air ducts.
• The possession or operating of any welding, acetylene device, or other open flame torches that uses oxygen and fuel gases to weld and cut steel or metallic components.
• Fireworks and explosives are prohibited.
The Ukiah Field Office fire order is available online here. To learn more about how you can do your part to prevent wildland fires visit www.readyforwildfire.org.
A listing of fire restrictions throughout BLM California is available at http://ow.ly/RQVm50JcYrV. For specific questions, please contact the Ukiah Field Office at 707-468-4000.