Bad wiring sparked a second-story fire in a Fort Bragg home yesterday evening causing significant damage.
Fort Bragg Fire Chief Steven Orsi told us the incident was initially reported around 6:30 p.m. Firefighters arrived at the home on the 100 block of North Harrison Street and found the second story was inundated with smoke.
Firefighters wearing the iconic self-contained breathing apparatus over their faces and air tanks on their backs attempted to make entrance to the second floor. The smoke proved too thick and the temperatures too hot forcing their retreat and a reapproach.
To clear the smoke, Chief Orsi said crews used their tools to cut a hole in the roof. This allowed the second story to effectively vent making entry safe for firefighters.
Upon entrance, the fire was emanating from an area the home’s owners said was prone to water leaks and bad wiring.
Chief Orsi learned from the home’s owners they had purchased the property within the last year and had set to revamp it. He said the wiring was likely not up to code for many years and was installed by earlier residents. An engineer was actually at the property last week in helping the owners bring new life to the home.
Despite these efforts, Chief Orsi described significant smoke damage to the second-story likely requiring new sheetrock for all affected areas.
Countless Mendocino County residents rely on the swift action of our volunteer fire departments during fires, medical emergencies, traffic accidents, and more. They do that work with minimal funding. To support the essential work of the many volunteers that work with the Fort Bragg Fire Department, send a check to 141 N Main Street-Fort Bragg, Ca 95437.